Level: 1st year
N. of students : 20
Evaluation: 2nd term
Unit of Work: Humans and Monsters
Timing: 5 sessions + final task
Material: OHP, CD player, blackboard, photocopies, video/DVD player-recorder,…
FINAL TASK : Rewrite a biography of one of the characters
PUPILS’ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: vocabulary related to monsters, communicating skills,…
· Use comprehension strategies that allow the inference of unknown meaning through context.
· Understand and interpret critically oral, written and visual texts.
· Read general texts or texts adequated to their interests without a dictionary
· Read the book over a period of a term, work on comprehension exercises and learn vocabulary
· Develop the appreciation of English literature
· Learn about Mary Shelley and her time
· Analyse the relation between cinema and literature
· Formulation of hypothesis about the expectations, interest or communicative attitudes that the potential readers of the texts may have
· Inference of information not previously known in texts
· Students make predictions about how they fell the story will end and what they think the author’s intention is.
· Understanding the intention of the writer when interpreting written information, as well as implicit messages
· Read authentic texts in English and organise messages in order to write correct pieces of writing
LANGUAGE AND LANGUAGE AWARENESS
A. FUNCTIONS AND GRAMMAR
Describing physical appearance. The Students will be writing descriptions of the characters
Related to areas dealt with in the book: feelings, experiences, interests, …
Intonation of sentences in connected speech
· Adequacy of the messages to the characteristics of the interlocutor
· Use of linguistic formulae suitable to the communicative situations: greetings and farewells, polite requests, etc.
· Use litearture as a tool to show respect for other cultures
· Recognising implicit socio-cultural aspects in texts related to the time when the novel was written: customs, traditions, celebrations,…
Civic and Moral Education
Students will learn how humans relate to each other
Use litearture as a tool to show respect for other cultures
Computer Sciences and Technology, Spanish Language and Literature
ATTENTION TO DIVERSITY
Reinforcement: Those weaker students will be given graded exercises and dialogues adapted to their level of knowledge
Amplification: advance students will be given materials (activities, dialogues, compositions,…) adapted to their learning competence
Teacher’s Observation Notebook
Final Task evaluation sheet
q Class management.
q Teaching methods.
q Interaction between children.
q Interaction between class and the teacher.
q Involvement of the individual learner.
OBSERVATION AND ANALYSIS:
· Were children absorbed in the activities?
· Did class management work effectively?
· Were my aims achieved?
· What aspects were most successful?
· How can I reinforce their learning?
· Has any other extra activity been performed? Was it successful?