Level:1st year Bachillerato
N. of students : 20
Unit of Work: Slavery
Timing: 5-9 sessions.+ final task
FINAL TASK: debate about racism-immigration in Spain
PUPILS’ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: vocabulary of Saint Valentine, love, literary appreciation, verb tenses, …
AIMS of the unit
1. Obtaining global and specific information from texts about slaves, their typical music and Abraham Lincoln, in order to get much vocabulary as possible related to the topic.
2. Oral communication in English to get information from spoken second language. Adopting a determined role taking into account fluency and accuracy.
3. Acquisition of different ways of expressing yourself with some conversation gambits (opening, linking and responding) according to different communicative situations.
4. Writing a composition taking into account its different parts.
5. Comprehensive listening of several messages with different accents
LANGUAGE AND LANGUAGE AWARENESS
A. FUNCTIONS AND GRAMMAR
1. To express plans and predictions in the future: ‘going to’ and will.
2. To express obligation, lack ok obligation, prohibition and advice. Modal verbs: must, mustn’t, have to, don’t have to, should and ought to.
4. To express opinions, causes, results and so one: in my opinion, because, as a result, because of, etc.
· Vocabulary related to immigration and slavery
· American English
1. The use of the foreign language as a medium to promote tolerance and communication among the different people and cultures in the composition, in the final product and in the listening about Freedom.
2. The contrast between the ways of daily life that slaves had and the own students’ customs in their country.
3. The use of the appropriate linguistic expressions or formulae with some conversation gambits (opening, linking and responding) according to different communicative situations.
4. Interest to know cultural information from countries where the foreign language is used in readings.
Moral and Civic Education
-Tolerance: students learn that we must live allowing different races and customs
– Equality: students must be conscious about the injustices that there were in other periods of history such as, racism that can also affect in our society
ATTENTION TO DIVERSITY
· Graded open ended exercises and tasks.
· Paying attention to slow learners
· Reinforcement and additional work.
· Final task
Teacher’s Observation Notebook.
q Class management.
q Teaching methods.
q Interaction between children.
q Interaction between class and the teacher.
q Involvement of the individual learner.
OBSERVATION AND ANALYSIS:
· Were children absorbed in the activities?
· Did class management work effectively?
· Were my aims achieved?
· What aspects were most successful?
· How can I reinforce their learning?
· Has any other extra activity been performed? Was it successful?